It’s a cool, drizzly Spring day here in Denver. Rainy weather makes me want to curl up on the couch and snack on something while watching TV (Food Network mostly). Although it hasn’t been the most productive of days, I decided to give into the weather and be lazy. Before heading to the couch, I needed a salty snack that I could pair with a half-eaten container of hummus. Popcorn wouldn’t suffice, and chips were nowhere to be found so I had to whip up something quick to jumpstart my relaxing afternoon — Grain-Free Seed Crackers made with almond meal, flax and sesame to the rescue! Although I spread these with hummus, they would be equally as yummy with sliced cheese, guacamole or your favorite dip! I based my recipe off of fellow blogger Elana Amsterdam’s Sesame Crackers at Elana’s Pantry.
Grain-Free Seed Crackers
3/4 cup blanched almond flour*
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (I used both black and white for contrast)
1 tsp chia seeds (optional, but I love chia!)
1 tsp coconut oil, melted (or other oil, butter, ghee)
1 large egg, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line small baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Mix almond flour through chia seeds in mixing bowl.
3. Whisk egg and oil together in small bowl.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients until fully incorporated until forms a paste/dough. Place dough in the center of the baking sheet.
5. Cut another piece of parchment paper and place over the dough on the baking sheet.
6. Roll out the dough until it covers the parchment, then remove top layer. Cut into squares using a knife or pizza cutter. (or you can cut into squares after baking, if preferred)
7. Bake at 350F for 11-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
8. Let cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes and serve!
I baked mine in a toaster oven for 12 minutes, but I like them crispy on the edges and a little softer in the middle. I cut the recipe by a fourth for portion control (these guys are addictive!) but you could double or quadruple the recipe for larger batches. I wound up with roughly 18 crackers.
*I purchase my almond flour at NutsOnline but you can always make your own!
5 thoughts on “Grain-Free Seed Crackers”
Pingback: Tuna Salad with a Crunch « Natural Noshing
Pingback: Sweet and Savory Butter Madness! « Natural Noshing
Pingback: Grain-free Seed Crackers « kristin's veggie lowcarb adventures
Made these this weekend for my daughter. It’s so hard to find both gluten and dairy free crackers with any taste and good texture. I rolled them out to about 1/8″ and baked for about 13 minutes. I have to say, these were absolutely delicious and held up beautifully when dipped in your hummus recipe. No crumbly, tasteless cracker here. I will be making these again soon with different seasoning combos. You gotta give these a try!
Thanks for the feedback Carol! So happy to hear your daughter enjoyed the crackers!