Things are heating up here in Denver, making it a little too warm to turn on the oven every night. Fine by me though, there are plenty of dishes to be made on the grill! In fact, reknowned chef Bobby Flay (one of my favs!) has devoted several shows to grilling and BBQ to demonstrate the versatility of the grill – and the man knows his stuff : ) Originally, I wanted to make grilled chicken served with Bobby’s peach salsa, but there was a great deal on fresh wild salmon at our local Sprouts that I couldn’t pass up. That being said, this salsa could easily be served over chicken, a white flesh fish like halibut or pork if salmon isn’t your thing, but this dish turned out beautiful! Just look at those lovely, bright summer colors : )
I adapted the salsa from Bobby Flay’s Yucatan Chicken with Grilled Peach Salsa by omitting the mint, slightly increasing the cilantro and onion and adding a 1/2 tsp of honey and a squeeze of lime.
I served this fish with a side salad and wild rice made in my trusty rice cooker, which made for a light summer meal! Prepare the salsa first so it has time to sit at room temperature and allow the flavors meld before cooking the fish. I cut the salsa recipe in half for the two of us but you could easily double or triple the recipe for a larger crowd.
2 peaches, cut in half, pit removed (skin left on)
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
1/2 small jalapeno, seed removed and finely chopped
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp honey
squeeze of fresh lime
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 salmon fillets (ours were about 7 oz each)
1/2 tsp olive oil
sea salt and pepper
1. Heat the grill (a grill pan would work too) then brush the side of the peaches w/ 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil. Place cut side down on the grill and grill peaches until they caramelize, but still hold their shape, 3-4 minutes.
2. Remove the peaches and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place the peaches in a medium bowl and toss with the rest of the ingredients and the remaining 1 tbl. of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. While the salsa rests, season the salmon with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Place seasoned fillets on the preheated grill for 6-8 minutes on each side (skin side down first) or until fish flakes easily with fork.
5. Remove from grill, top fish with peach salsa and serve!
This recipe is featured at Slightly Indulgent Tuesday this week at Amy’s delicious Simply Sugar and Gluten Free blog! She has a new and beautiful site that you must check out! It is also featured at “Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans”!