Lately, I am all about one dish meals – they are simple, quick and I don’t have to wash many dishes. The last reason may sound like I am lazy…but really, I am without a dishwasher for the first time in my life and I’m still adjusting.
Less complicated meals = less dishes, and that makes me happy 🙂 Not to mention, since Chris has been gone for a week, I don’t have the same motivation to make elaborate meals without someone to share them with.
For some reason, I’ve recently been craving all things egg – scrambles, fried eggs, quiches, pizza etc. Apparently, I’m off my squash kick and moved onto eggs (and cookies/bars, but that’s for a different post) so if you see more recipes featuring this high-protein ingredient, you will know why!
I love this dish not only because it’s fast and nutritious, but also it’s incredibly delicious. Start your day with a scramble packed with protein and vegetables or serve the mixture with warmed corn tortillas or a gluten free brown rice tortilla for a breakfast taco – you won’t be disappointed.
You don’t have to save this for our morning meal though, I ate this for dinner one evening – breakfast for dinner anyone?
For a vegetarian dish, eliminate the sausage. If you aren’t a fan of eggs, you can easily make this vegan by substituting crumbled tofu (and eliminate sausage as well).
Curry Veggie Scramble or Breakfast Tacos
1-2 tsp coconut oil, butter, ghee, grapeseed oil or olive oil (use oil for vegan and dairy free)
1- 2 eggs, whisked or 1/2 cup crumbled firm or extra firm tofu or a combo (use tofu for vegan)
1/2 – 1 tsp curry powder to taste
dash of crushed red pepper flakes
1 nitrate-free cooked chicken bratwurst, crumbled or diced (omit for vegetarian or if desired)
1 garlic clove, minced (can use a rounded 1/4 tsp garlic powder if needed)
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/3 – 1/2 cup onion, diced (I used red but any will work here)
handful of baby greens (spinach, chard, collards) – about 1 cup
sea salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional for cheesy flavor
Corn tortillas, warmed for serving (optional for tacos)
1. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Combine chicken sausage, garlic, bell pepper and onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until onions are translucent. (If using tofu, add at this step as well).
3. Add curry powder and red pepper and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Mix in greens and cook one minute until beginning to wilt.
4. Push veggie mixture to the side or create a hole in the middle and pour in whisked eggs. Let cook for 30 seconds, stir and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until eggs are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, if using.
5. Serve alone as a scramble or in warmed tortillas as a breakfast taco and enjoy!
Serves one (or you can probably make this two small servings if you use 2-3 eggs)
*you can always add cut or torn strips of tortilla to the skillet along with the spinach in step 3 for an Indian-inspired “migas” meal