Welcome to Pizza Week here at Natural Noshing!
Let me start by saying pizza is an incredible food. Throwing calories out the window, I could eat pizza everyday and not get sick of it. It must have something to do with the cheesy, melty goodness covering a variety of toppings on top of a layer of carbs that makes pizza my ultimate comfort food.
That being said, I wanted to dedicate the next several posts to alternative, gluten free and pizza-inspired creations. I repeat…these are alternative pizza inspired recipes…you know I can’t stay in the box for long 🙂
First up this week are my pizza potatoes that are served over a bed of sauteed garlic spinach…I had to sneak more veggies in there somehow. The only way I used to eat baked potatoes was slathered in ketchup…times have changed as this recipe won me over. I’d like to think of this dish as a more sophisticated and flavor-packed version 🙂
This easy recipe can be adapted with the toppings of your choice. I included the veggies I had on hand — mushrooms and bell peppers — but your favorite toppings can be added if desired. If you wanted to add a bit more protein, add in crumbled sausage or pepperoni, or a vegetarian substitute.
Pizza Potatoes over Sauteed Spinach
2 medium yellow or russet potatoes, scrubbed well (organic is best)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 tsp fennel seed
sea salt to taste
a few shakes of crushed red pepper
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (coconut oil or butter can be subbed)
1/3 cup mushrooms, diced (about 3 mushrooms)
1/3 cup white, red or yellow onion, diced
1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
2/3 cup marinara sauce
1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used an italian blend, dairy free shreds can be used too)
4-5 cups of spinach + a drizzle of olive oil/coconut oil/butter (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce potatoes with a fork several times and bake for one hour or until tender.
2. Remove from the oven, cut each potato in half and let cool for 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
3. In a medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add half of the garlic to the pan, along with the seasoning, fennel seeds and crushed red pepper and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
4. Add in onions, mushrooms and bell pepper and cook for about 5-6 minutes until onion is transculent and cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. With a spoon, carefully scoop out most of the potato into a bowl and mash with a fork. Take care to leave enough potato in the skin so the shells stay together. Mix the veggies and 1/4 cup marinara with the mashed potatoes and divide the mixture evenly and spoon into the shells.
6. Pour remaining marinara sauce over the four stuffed potatoes, top with shredded cheese and cook for about 8 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
7. (Optional for extra veggies) Meanwhile, add a small drizzle of olive oil in the same skillet (no need to wash) over medium heat. Add spinach and garlic and saute for a few minutes until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and serve as a bed under the potatoes and enjoy!
Other related recipes that might be of interest are: