Winter is officially here! We received over a foot of snow over the past few days – a big thank you to storm Brutus. I love seeing the streets covered in white and enjoying the quiet peacefulness that the snow brings. While I’m not a fan of driving in the snow, it sure is pretty to look at 🙂
Due the 0F temperature outdoors over the weekend, my body has been craving anything and everything warm — soup of all kinds has been on the menu, including this rustic one-dish meal:
MMmmmm, there’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup after coming in from chilly weather!
This soup is filling and easy to make on a weeknight – hearty greens, spicy italian sausage and sweet winter squash come together for a quick and delicious meal that warms you to the core. The grated parmesan adds a delicious complexity to the soup that I highly recommend as a finishing element…everything is better with a little cheese, right? 🙂 If you need to omit for allergy reasons though, this soup is still delicious!
Sausage, Kale and Squash Soup
1 Tbsp coconut oil, olive oil, butter, ghee or Earth Balance (use oil for dairy free)
1 small or 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 oz uncooked ground italian sausage (hot or mild) – I used chicken sausage
3-4 cups uncooked butternut, kabocha or other winter squash, peeled and cut into small 1/2 in cubes
5-7 button or baby portabella mushrooms, sliced (optional, I could add mushrooms to almost anything)
5 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth or homemade stock
1/2 tsp sea salt (or more/less to taste)
2-3 shakes of crushed red pepper flakes, optional (omit if you don’t like any heat)
1 small bunch of kale, washed, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
fresh ground black pepper for serving
grated parmesan for serving (omit for dairy free)
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened and transculent.
2. Add garlic and sausage and cook until meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up the meat into small pieces.
3. Add squash and mushrooms and cook for one minute, stirring occasionally. Add salt and crushed red pepper to taste.
4. Pour in broth, then bring to a boil. Add torn kale then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and parmesan and enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Sausage, Kale and Squash Soup”
Sausage, Kale Soup is always a fine choice…I like the addition of squash 🙂
I am cooking this right now. Looks and smells delicious. Thanks.
I hope it turned out as delicious as it smells! I love this rustic soup!
Pingback: Sausage, Kale and Squash Soup | Flying on Jess Fuel