It’s been a long time since I last posted…and wow, that’s an overstatement! The whole month of December flew past without a peep on my end. I could make excuse after excuse but I’ll just leave it at work/business/life got in the way, BUT now I am back…and boy, have I MISSED YOU and BLOGGING!
I must admit, it feels like a year has gone by …..wait, it has! I have a feeling that 2013 is going to be a delicious and healthy one. That’s what I am aiming for at least!
Variety of colors = lots of vitamins…that means my body is happy! After WAY too many heavy holiday dishes, eating on-the-go, plenty of sweet indulgences and a few too many mornings of hitting snooze in lieu of the gym, I am ready for satisfying and nutritious meals to lighten the load and help get me back on track.
This veggie salad hits the spot with a combination of vegetables, dried fruit, seeds and nuts that is light yet filling, a little sweet, a little savory… and all topped off with a bright lemony tahini dressing that I could use on all types of dishes – grains, meats, a variety of salads, pastas, mmmmm!
I am loving on raw kale, a hearty winter green, instead of romaine or spinach in my salads on occasion. Prior to serving, let this salad sit for 15 minutes or so to allow the greens soften up a bit and soak up all the flavors of the dressing before chowing down 🙂 Enjoy!
Chop-It-Up Veggie Salad (inspired by Oh She Glows)
(Gluten free, Dairy-free, Soy-Free, Vegan, Nut-free Option)
4-5 cups kale, washed and chopped or torn
1/2 bell pepper (color of choice, I used red)
4 scallions, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, sliced thin
1 small head endive, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup juice-sweetened dried cherries, whole or rough chopped (or other dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, etc)
3-4 Tbsp hemp seeds (or other seeds)
1/3 cup walnuts or other nuts, eliminate for nut-free
fresh parsley (or other fresh herb), rough chop
Tahini-Garlic Dressing, recipe follows
1. Combine all chopped/diced vegetables in a large mixing bowl or salad bowl except for greens, hemp seeds and nuts.
2. Make your Tahini-Garlic Dressing (recipe below) and set aside.
3. Tear the leaves off of the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry leaves thoroughly.
4. Mix the vegetables, greens and dressing (to taste) in large bowl until thoroughly combined. Garnish with hemp seeds and walnuts.
5. Place in fridge to ‘marinate’ for 10-15 minutes. Keeps in fridge in a sealed container for 1 day.
Vegan, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free
1/4 cup tahini
3 Tbsp egg-free mayo (I use soy-free Vegenaise, can sub regular mayo if you prefer)
juice from one large lemon or two small
1-2 cloves garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
3-4 Tbsp water (or more to reach desired consistency)
1 small scallion, minced (optional)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients to a blender (I used my Magic Bullet) and blend until smooth. The dressing will thicken after refrigeration.