I love buying a large bunch of bananas. I only eat but one or two in its fresh form, so when they reach the “ugly” stage and are a little too mushy and sweet for eating, I have a good excuse to bake.
Not only are these soft, cake-like cookies grain-free and vegan, they are sweetened only with fruit — you guessed it, bananas! Instead of baking an entire loaf of banana bread, I opted for built-in portion control in the form on cookies 🙂 Soft, muffin-like cookies that are reminiscent of the popular quick bread most of know and love. I added chopped walnuts and a handful of golden raisins for some texture, but feel free to swap out your favorite add-ins such as chocolate chips, pecans, dried cherries or even chopped candied ginger for a different twist.
With a short list of ingredients and a snap to prepare, you can feel good about these treats…and even eat them for breakfast 🙂
Soft Banana Bread Cookies (Vegan, Grain-free)
Gluten-free, Vegan, Egg-free, Dairy-free, Peanut-free, Grain-free, Quick
2 1/2 cups almond flour or almond meal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon (can add a pinch of other spices like nutmeg for a different twist too!)
1/4 -1/2 tsp sea salt
2 ripe large bananas or 3 small, mashed
1/4 cup creamy almond butter (or other nut butter)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 raisins (I used golden raisins) or other dried fruit or mini chocolate chips/cacao nibs, optional
1. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (almond flour through salt)>
3. In a separate bowl, mash together the banana, nut butter and vanilla.
4. Stir in dry ingredients until a dough forms.
5. Using a tablespoon (I oiled mine so the batter didn’t stick), scoop dough into rounded tablespoons on prepared baking sheet (or oil your hands well and rolls into balls if preferred but the dough is sticky!).
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool completely (be patient) before removing from baking sheet, otherwise they will fall apart 🙂 Enjoy!
Yields 28-30 cookies