Spring fever…yep, I definitely have it! To help it along, I thought ice cream might do the trick? This refreshing raspberry chocolate chip ice cream helped transport me right to sunny days and warmer weather. It might be warm where you are but the chilly rain has been holding on here in Montana. While I can’t change the weather, I can change my mindset…and I’ll start with food 🙂 Seems like a decent place to start. Is anyone with me?
Erin over at Table for Seven was the inspiration for this scrumptious recipe! I was assigned her blog for the Secret Recipe Club this month and I so enjoyed spending hours going through post after post, and I was having a difficult time picking just one thing to make! I came close to making her Pineapple Meatloaf, Baked French Toast and Mexican Stuffed Shells but my sweet tooth won out (again) when I ultimately chose her Raspberry Brown Sugar Chocolate Ice Cream. I had a great excuse to break out my ice cream maker, thank you Erin!
I tweaked the recipe a bit to make it dairy-free by substituting the milk and whipping cream with 3 cups of full-fat canned coconut milk. I used 3/4 cup of the mini Enjoy Life chocolate chips and opted for coconut palm sugar instead of brown sugar since that’s what I had on hand. I had an ice cream maker so I used that method instead, but Erin gives an option for making this recipe without one that is equally as delicious. Chocolate + fresh raspberry + a creamy ice cream base…this hit the spot!
Raspberry Brown Sugar and Chocolate Ice Cream (adapted from Our Table for Seven)
Gluten-free, Grain-free, Paleo-Friendly, Dairy-free, Soy-free, Nut-free, Vegetarian, Refined Sugar Free
1 Tbsp lemon juice
- In a saucepan, heat milk until it bubbles slightly. Remove from heat. Stir milk into beaten eggs slightly.
- Return to saucepan. Cook and stir for approx 2 minutes or until heated. Remove from heat. Let it cool. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, coconut sugar/brown sugar, and lemon juice. Mix well. Stir into chilled ice cream mixture.
- For ice cream maker: Follow ice cream maker’s instructions and towards the end, stir in raspberries and chocolate chips/chunks/nibs after churning OR
- Without an ice cream maker, stir in raspberries and chocolate chips/chunks/nibs and use David Lebowitz’s instructions:
- Prepare your ice cream according to recipe. Chill it over an ice bath.
- Put ice cream in a deep, freezer safe container and put in freezer.
- Check it after 45 minutes. Break up any frozen sections. Beat it up good.
- Return to freezer. Check to check about every 30 minutes, breaking up the ice. Use a hand mixer if needed.
- After about 2-3 hours, you have ice cream.
*If you can have dairy, feel free to use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream instead of the canned coconut milk.
For other recipes in this month’s reveal, click below!
15 thoughts on “Raspberry Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (SRC)”
guess who got your blog this month?
I made your turkey chili with almond butter and it was a huge hit!
Wonderful to cook from your site!
happy Reveal Day!
Pinning right now.
Oh that looks WONDERFUL!! Great pick this month!!
Like your coconut milk and coconut sugar tweaks!
Ooooh I haven’t made ice cream since last summer… I definitely need to get back into it now that it’s warming up!! This one looks delish!
It is definitely time to start making ice cream…love how yours turned out! Great SRC pick!
Looks amazing! Love the pictures! So glad you enjoyed it 🙂
I’ve got to get myself an ice cream maker. This sounds so awesome! Great pick this month 🙂
GORGEOUS, gorgeous ice cream! Seriously, you did a fabulous job on your SRC pick this month. Deelish!!!
Yum! Love the idea of doing ice cream with coconut milk, that sounds delicious!
Me again! Guess what I just made? The base for your ice cream! I am going to leave it chilling until tomorrow morning and then use my ice cream maker, adding raspberries and cacao nibs
It already smells pretty nice with the coconut and the brown sugar…
I hope I can blog about it, if the pictures turn out ok!
All I can say is.. “yum!”
Pingback: Raspberry Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Natural Noshing | The Secret Recipe Club
This looks amazing! I haven’t tried ice cream with coconut milk before. Sounds delicious.
Just blogged about your ice cream! http://bewitchingkitchen.com/2014/05/23/raspberry-brown-sugar-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/