Chocolate and peanut butter is my go-to combo when I am craving a dessert or a sweet treat. I’ve been known to take a big spoonful of nut butter and sprinkle chocolate chips for a pick-me-up or slather a generous helping of peanut butter over a chocolate bar when I am craving a Reese’s cup. I’ll happily admit that…and the fact that this gal loves her chocolate. No shame here 🙂
When I came across these beauties from Brown-Eyed Baker, I knew I needed to make an allergy-friendly version! They almost have a Halloween-ish feel to them as well with the colors and the pretzels – so HAPPY HALLOWEEN…and what better way to celebrate than with a treat?!
These bars are inspired by Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby ice cream, which I used to adore. A sweet and salty combo will win me over every time when having to choose between an overly sweet option. There’s something about the contrast that really reels me in. I’ll sprinkle a bit of sea salt over most desserts for that little “extra something” almost every time.
A more bitter dark chocolate is always my favorite but if a sweeter chocolate is your preference, that can certainly be substituted. If you have a peanut or nut allergy or avoid legumes, use sunflower seed butter (which tastes the most like peanut butter) or substitute your favorite nut butter such as hazelnut, almond or cashew butter for a different flavor. I’ve been loving on collagen lately so I’ve been coming up with ways to incorporate it into different recipes (read about health benefits here); however for a vegan or vegetarian version, feel free to omit since it doesn’t effect the flavor.
These come together pretty quickly once you melt the chocolate. I had a bit of difficulty (and frustration since I wanted them to look pretty) when cutting these bars. so I imagine making individual portions in mini silicone muffin cups with mini pretzel twists would be even easier! I find the straight pretzel sticks in the cut bars pretty fun and aesthetically appealing but they are a pain if you’re looking for clean cuts. If you are anything like me, these won’t last long 🙂 Chubby Hubby Collagen Bars (inspired by Brown-Eyed Baker’s recipe)
Gluten-free, Vegan & Vegetarian option, Refined Sugar free Option, Dairy-free, Soy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free Option, No-Bake
10 oz bag Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or your favorite dairy-free chocolate or homemade chocolate)
2 cups gluten-free pretzel sticks (or gluten-free mini pretzel twists if making individual cups)
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (can use butter or ghee if not dairy-free)
2/3 cup all-natural creamy peanut butter (or favorite nut or seed butter if needed for allergy reasons)
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar, powdered or 4 Tbsp honey or agave (do not use honey if strict vegan)
3 scoops Vital Protein collagen peptides (blue lid — omit for vegetarian or vegan)
1. Line a 8×8 pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside (or you can make individual cups by using mini muffin silicone molds)
2. Place half of the chocolate in a medium bowl and microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted. Pour the chocolate into an even layer in the prepared pan (or divide evenly among mini silicone cups).
3. Gently place the pretzel sticks in an even layer on top of the melted chocolate, I broke them in half but this isn’t necessary. Place the pan in the refrigerator while you prepare the next layer.
4. Whisk together the melted oil and peanut butter, then whisk in the sweetener and collagen until completely smooth. Spread in an even layer over top of the pretzels.
5. Melt the remaining half of the chocolate using the same method as in step #2. Pour the melted chocolate over the peanut butter layer and use an offset spatula to spread in an even layer. Return to the pan to the refrigerator until set, about 30 minutes. Cut into bars and serve.
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes 16 bars