Some nights after work I really don’t feel like cooking….ordering take out or walking over to the hot bar at the health food store sounds much more appealing after a long day. Then I think, wait…I could have this dinner on the table in about 20 minutes…and that’s faster (and healthier) than takeout!
This quick and adaptable scramble bowl is packed with protein, fresh veggies and healthy fats with an option to substitute your favorite vegetable or side. It makes for a hearty breakfast, tasty brunch or a well-rounded dinner with a breakfast flare…and I’m a huge fan of breakfast for dinner 🙂 It may not look like much but this bowl is TASTY!
For extra fluffy eggs, I add a splash of water along with salt, pepper and seasoning along with the egg in my Magic Bullet or Vitamix…talk about a light texture! My mom used to add half n half or milk to our scrambles when I was growing up, but water works well for a dairy-free option. Plus, the water helps steam the eggs a bit and prevent them from drying out quickly 🙂 Feel free to add your favorite veg or meat, but don’t skip the smoked salt and oil if you don’t have to – it takes the dish to the next level!
Smokey Scramble Skillet Bowl
Gluten-free, Grain-free Option, Soy-free, Paleo-friendly, Soy-free, Vegetarian, Nut-free, Dairy-free, Nightshade-free, Easy, Sugar-free
1 Tbsp smoked oil (I used peppered bacon flavored olive oil) or coconut oil (this won’t have as much i
1 1/2 Tbsp water* (optional but makes the eggs light and fluffy)
4 cage-free, organic eggs
pinch of dried thyme or rosemary, optional
large pinch of smoked salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced (can omit or use garlic powder if desired)
1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped (red or white works too)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (chopped asparagus, zucchini or broccoli can be added or substituted)
big handful or leafy greens, rough chopped (~2-3 cups; I used swiss chard and baby spinach
1/2 avocado, pit removed & chopped or sliced
1 1/2 cup cooked grain of choice or roasted sweet potato cubes or hashbrowns (for Paleo/Grain-free), warmed
chopped cooked bacon or crumbled breakfast sausage (option, not pictured but can be added if preferred),warmed
chopped chives and/or fresh parsley
more smoked salt and pepper to taste
drizzle of coconut aminos or hot sauce (not nightshade free), optional
- In a blender*, add eggs, water, salt, pepper and herbs (if using). Blend for 5-10 seconds and side aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions start to turn translucent and soften.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, then add the greens and cook until wilted, roughly 1-2 minutes. Remove veggies from pan, cover and set aside to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in skillet. Add eggs and let cook for 5 minutes until set and cooked through, stirring occasionally to prevent burning or overcooking. Stir in veggies and chopped avocado, then toss to combine.
- To serve, layer the bowls with grain or potato of choice, meat (if using), veggie and egg mixture and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Season with additional smoked salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with coconut aminos or hot sauce if desired and enjoy warm!
*If you don’t have a blender, you can whisk the eggs, water and seasoning well by hand; I prefer the blender for quicker prep and the texture it yields.
If you can have nightshades, smoked paprika would be a really flavorful addition too!